Henri Dauman is a master photographer who has journeyed the world documenting the foremost historical events, personalities and cultural changes of the 20th century. As a feature photographer for LIFE Magazine he captured personalities & icons of politics, art, and culture ranging from John & Jacqueline Kennedy, to Andy Warhol, Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe and many others at telling moments of their lives.
For more than four decades, he worked with other publishers and magazines such as New York Times, New York Magazine, Newsweek, Smithsonian and Town & Country.
Henri Dauman is the winner of numerous awards. In 1967 he was awarded with Picture Of The Year Award from the school of journalism of the University of Missouri. He has also received an Award of Excellence awarded to him by Communications Art Magazine. 35mm Photography, Photo, The Photography Catalog, Variety, The New York Times and Print Magazine have all featured professional articles discussing his work.
Dauman’s work has exhibited at leading galleries and his prints are held in public and private collections throughout the world. His work has been exhibited in several one-man and group shows, such as:
- Espace Carpeaux, Courbevoie, The Manhattan Darkroom / Special Cinéma, from Sept. 20, 2017 to end of October, 2017
- Nièpce Museum of Photography 2017, Chalon sur Saône (France), The Manhattan Darkroom, February to May 2017
- Palais d’Iéna, Paris, The Manhattan Darkroom, November-December, 2014
- The Tate Liverpool Museum on the American Supermarket, 2002
- John F. Kennedy Exhibition, German Historical Museun in Berlin, 2003
- “The Magnum Archive: Vintage 20th Century”, Robert Lowell – Marilyn Monroe & Arthur Miller, Kasher Gallery, NYC, 2005
- “Flashback: The Sixties” Bonni Benrubi Gallery, NYC, 1999
- Pace MacGill – Richard Nixon campaigning, 1995
- “New York Looking-up”, essay represented in the permanent collection The Museum Of Modern Art, NYC.
- The National Gallery of Canada – The American Supermarket.
- The National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
A feature film entitled “Henri Dauman: Looking Up” will be released in the Winter of 2018, documenting the life and work of Henri Dauman.
Henri Dauman’s work brings an extraordinary, invaluable visual record that reflects American and European styles, urban landscapes, icons, cultural values, and political concerns of the twentieth century.